Monday, May 11, 2020

Mother’s Day



Another Mother’s Day has come and gone. It’s always a bittersweet day for me. I miss my mom, miss my Tanner, but my living child, step-children and grandchildren are such blessings and bring me so much joy.  

Today, I was doing my bible study, Dangerous Prayers by Craig Groeschel, and the prayer this week is “Send Me”. Possibly the scariest prayer of all, because if we ask Him to send us, we need to be prepared then to go. 

It seems so overwhelming but what if we just start by asking God who and what we can pray for. It’s really all about looking outside of ourselves and seeing the bigger picture. And with Mother’s Day just past, it made me think about Moms.  I don’t think anyone would deny that Mothers are selfless. We would give and do anything for our children, and that’s great, but what if we put that same passion, that same selflessness into God. What if we really trusted God with our children and said okay God, what can I do for you today?  That may still be making lunch for your kids, but now he also has you praying for that neighbor  who seems so lonely while making that lunch. He prompts you while you’re doing laundry with an idea to get a women’s group started, and so instead of grumbling about washing the same clean shirt you know you just folded and put in your son’s room yesterday, now you’re fired up about reaching out to these women. 

I think it’s possible that while being selfless and fully sacrificing for our children we are also being selfish and safe. We can sometimes use our role as Mom and Wife to get out of doing what God has for us. Yes God is using you in those roles, but how much more of a role model could you be to your children and husband than by answering God’s call on your life?  By stepping out in faith and believing He will give you the time and energy. There is a bigger picture than our safe little homes, and we need to be prepared and willing to answer God’s call. 

No comments: